Sunday, April 26, 2009

04/26/09 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991, 152 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103064/

The follow-up to The Terminator of a few years prior, we get one of the best action movies of all time. Imagine The Terminator only with everything better.

The plot revolves around two Terminators sent back in time. One, the same model type that we saw in The Terminator (again played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) is sent back to protect John Connor (Edward Furlong) while a newer, more advanced model (Robert Patrick) is sent to terminate John Connor. Linda Hamilton returns as Sarah Connor and she really worked out for the role, carrying a ton of muscle.

This movie really is just The Terminator made amazing. Instead of having a human protector, we get a Terminator. Instead of having the Terminator as the villain we actually get a more advanced Terminator. The T-1000 is, in my opinion, one of the best movie villains in existence. It really is all but impossible to stop. There is gut-wrenching dread when we see the T-1000 reassemble itself after being shot while frozen (after the iconic "Hasta la vista, baby" line). You immediately wonder just how it will be destroyed. The few lines, the stoic appearance, being in a police uniform, the weapons, the slow and methodical movement, the liquid abilities. This all adds up to one incredible villain. I cannot consider anyone but Robert Patrick playing this character.

Another great thing is Edward Furlong as John Connor. Most movies (and especially action movies) that have kid sidekicks somehow pick the most annoying and worst acting children in existence for these roles. Furlong is very impressive here. Maybe it's because he's older (I guess early teens or so) and not in elementary school. Whatever the reason, he's convincing as a kid. He's not a kid acting like a kid and flatly reading lines that would never be said by a person his age. I wish all kid acting was this good.

Overall, I gave this film a 9/10. This film is great. The only thing I really don't like about it is the voice-over parts with Sarah Connor talking. I think it'd be better if these weren't included at all. Regardless of this minor complaint, this movie is easily in the top tier of action movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment