Rocky V (1990, 104 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100507/
The Rocky series reaches a new low here. While IV, though extremely unrealistic, provides a glimpse back to what the series could be again (following the disappointment of III), V decides to tell us that the series can, actually, be worse than III.
There's not much good going here. Tommy Gunn played by Tommy Morrison is pathetically unlikable. Richard Gant playing the promoter is also unlikable and not as good at promoting as Apollo Creed was. Granted, he's supposed to come off as a slimebag, but he does with it bad acting which isn't how he's supposed to do that. The Rocky, Jr. character of Sage Stallone does an okay job for a kid actor and was not as annoying as I thought he would be.
Rocky himself is again well-played, but the thing that's terrible here is the plot. Do we need to see Rocky train someone? We all just want to see Rocky fight someone, right (and actually in the ring, I might add)? The climactic street fight is stupid and has nothing right about it.
Overall, I gave this movie a 2/10. I really cannot think of much of anything it did right. It tried to be a serious movie or something and that's not what we want to see in the Rocky series. Though I had low expectations when I started it up, it failed to even meet them.
[Note: Due to a voting update, I have changed the rating of Rocky V to a 1/10.]
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment