Sunday, April 5, 2009

04/05/09 - Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961, 115 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054698/

So I'll admit that I pretty much watched this for Audrey Hepburn. Suffice to say, I wasn't disappointed. Her acting was pretty good and she is essentially the definition of beautiful, so it was a joy in multiple ways to see her on the screen. The male lead, George Peppard, acted well himself, playing the new guy to the building who falls in love with Hepburn's character.

For some reason, I was expecting a silly-sappy movie, all dolled up or something and extremely feminine. I was glad to be wrong on this account. The love story was well-handled and pretty serious, and this added to why I liked the movie.

Hepburn's character was the crux of the whole story. Her whimsical nature was humorous and enjoyable to an extent. Honestly, this type of female character I've seen before in films, but these films have been after this one, so this might be one of the origins of the character (or at least a more modernization of it from earlier movies or something). The character was played very believably in my opinion and wasn't so strange and silly that I was watching with a sense of disbelief.

Overall, I gave the film a 6/10. It was very good and enjoyable and exceeded my (possibly too low to begin with) expectations. It's frequently parodied or referenced in popular culture and I'm glad I've seen the film now. Seeing Audrey Hepburn for 115 minutes was an added bonus I wish most other films had.

No comments:

Post a Comment