Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries) (1957, 91 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050986/
This movie was the typical "old man looking back on his life" story but it was done amazingly well. The old man, a professor going to pick up a sort of lifetime achievement award is played by Victor Sjöström and is very convincing. He hobbles along and just does a great job.
The best thing I think about the movie is the subtle approach it takes to the life change. A movie of this sort now has the character change in such a drastic way that the movie is moving, but essentially unbelievable. Professor Borg here changes in a lesser way, but all the while a more believable way. It's hard to exactly put this feeling into words, but it was very well done.
Another great part of the movie was the parallel Sara characters both played by Bibi Andersson. Each Sara is integral to Professor's Borg's character transformation which is centered around "love". Again, this aspect is subtle and Bergman doesn't overly emphasize it to the point that it is annoying (which I honestly feel would be done if this movie were remade).
The talk of God and Death is again prominent in this Bergman work, mainly due to the main character's impending death. However, these points are not the focus of the whole movie as I felt the reflection by Professor Borg and his change of feelings was the most important.
Overall, I gave this film an 7/10. Bergman is again fantastic in creating believable characters and their carrying of the story makes it great. Again I emphasize the importance of everything coming off in a more subtle manner, thus making the movie much better as a whole.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment