Saturday, August 1, 2009

July Summary

June Summary
July Summary

05/10 - The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

08/10 - Clash of the Titans
06/10 - Miracle
08/10 - Watchmen
03/10 - Dogma
03/10 - Top Gun
06/10 - The Thing
04/10 - Brüno
09/10 - Léon (Leon: The Professional)
07/10 - Evil Dead II
07/10 - Kill Bill: Vol. 1
06/10 - Kill Bill: Vol. 2
04/10 - Army of Darkness
07/10 - The Hangover
06/10 - Armageddon
07/10 - Inside Man
09/10 - [Rec]
05/10 - Old School
05/10 - Public Enemies
08/10 - I Love You, Man

The rating links to my review and comments while the title itself links to the IMDb page for the movie.

Quick Facts:
Movies seen in June and July: 20
Time spent watching movies in June and July: 2329 minutes (38 hours, 49 minutes)

Best Movie Seen (Overall):
Léon (Leon: The Professional)
This movie took me completely by surprise. I was thinking this was a cult hit movie much like Fight Club or Requiem for a Dream that were good but not worthy of all the praise given them. Léon was absolutely superb and a joy to watch.
Runner-up: [Rec]
[Léon (Leon: The Professional) and [Rec] were first time viewings.]
[Note: These two films will not be included in the next two rankings.]

Best Movie Seen (First Viewing):
I Love You, Man
Rarely does a comedy make me laugh as much as this one did. The acting was great and the lines were hilarious - from beginning to end. The plot wasn't much but the humor more than made up for that in a big way.
Runner-up: Watchmen

Best Movie Seen (Repeated Viewing):
Clash of the Titans
This is a favorite of mine. I realize it might not be worthy of that 8/10 I gave it, but this movie just always makes me smile so I have to bump it up a notch. The stop motion is without a doubt flawless and something every movie fan should at least see.
Runner-up: Inside Man

Worst Film Seen:
Dogma
The humor here was vulgar, the plot was stupid, and the whole thing was forgettable. These aren't the adjectives I use to describe a good movie. I found myself bored most of the time I was watching this and just wanting whatever was supposed to happen to happen.
Runner-up: Top Gun

Most Surprising Film Seen:
[Rec]
I was literally on the edge of my seat watching this. I was tense. I was nervous. This movie was jam packed with thrills and I never thought it would be anywhere near this good. I loved it. The shaky camera, the infected, the setting - everything was just working great here.
Runner-up: Watchmen

Most Disappointing Film Seen:
Public Enemies
I'm pretty sure I overhyped this movie beyond belief. I went in expecting way too much. Granted, this movie was overall pretty good, but it had the potential to be a whole, whole lot better. It fell victim to trying to do too much.
Runner-up: Army of Darkness

Most Enjoyable Film Seen:
I Love You, Man
I was actually laughing out loud at this film. It was just great. I'm ready to recommend it to everyone I know that wants to watch a good comedy that's come out in the past five years.
Runner-up: Clash of the Titans

The Film More People Need to See:
[Rec]
This was a foreign film, actually requiring subtitles to understand. It was remade over here in the States as Quarantine which I don't seem to recall doing that well in theaters. While I can't compare these two versions, I can say that this movie is worth a watch for all fans of the zombie/infected genre.
Runner-up: Clash of the Titans

That's all I have for June and July. I saw quite a lot of films in July for my standards so I'm pleased with that. With the move back to my apartment for school sometime this month, we'll see how that affects what I get around to seeing in August. Recently getting some movies along with some anticipated releases on the horizon, I'm going to aim for around fifteen films this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment