Dogma (1999, 130 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/
Beginning to watch movies on a semi-regular basis I pick one that I've been told by many people is amazing. The Kevin Smith directed Dogma has been on my list to see for a while because of that. However, the one Kevin Smith film I have seen - Zack and Miri Make a Porno - didn't impress me that much.
Dogma has a myriad of characters. The main character is Bethany (Linda Fiorentino) who must stop two renegade angels named Loki (Matt Damon) and Bartleby (Ben Affleck). Helping her along the way are the Apostle Rufus (Chris Rock) and the muse Serendipity (Salma Hayek). Playing a conniving demon named Azrael is Jason Lee. Getting the role of God is Alanis Morissette.
Following in the same sense of Zack and Miri Make a Porno (though this movie came first) is the same vulgar humor. It's very hit or miss and unfortunately for me it's very miss. The Golgotha demon for instance I found incredibly pointless and stupid. To add to this, after many lines there were quips from somebody and almost always these added nothing to the film. The jokes were pretty stupid.
Overall, I gave this film a 3/10. It's not terrible and the plot is somewhat interesting and fun to follow. But some times the movie gets serious (most notably at the end) and it's hard to take it even remotely serious after the past two hours of obscenities and vulgar jokes.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment