Tuesday, July 21, 2009

07/21/09 - [Rec]

[Rec] (2007, 75 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

Following a short break I pick up with the thriller movie titled [Rec]. Released in 2007 to critical acclaim I originally wanted to watch this a long time ago, but for some reason I completely forgot about it until now when I decided to give it a go.

[Rec] follows the camera crew of Ángela Vidal (Manuela Velasco) and Pablo (Pablo Rosso) as they go with some fireman for the night. The night turns dangerous as they end up investigating the crazy situation in an apartment complex. There's a slew of other minor characters but the movie is run by Ángela and Pablo.

The acting is fine here. All the action and scenes seem completely improved and it works amazing. There doesn't seem to be any acting at all and that's exactly how this movie should be done. It creates a complete sense of realism. Everything is incredibly bizarre and surreal, yet the way the movie is done it all seems believable.

The main thing this film has going for it is the horror and tension. One subtle thing that I loved was the camerawork. Not only was the shaky camera realistic for the given story, but knowing I was "seeing" through the camera it added to the horror with there being the complete unknown behind me. Unaware of what was going on behind the camera it made the movie that much scarier. The apartment complex was another great touch. The spiraling staircase and the claustrophobic atmosphere worked very well for the tight and tense action.

Overall, I gave this film a 9/10. This is one of the most tense and scariest films I've seen. The only way to describe this movie is as an incredible experience.

[Note: Due to a voting update, I have changed the rating of [Rec] to an 08/10.]

No comments:

Post a Comment