Saturday, June 20, 2009

06/20/09 - The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009, 121 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111422/

Following a long vacation I see the first movie in what seems like forever - about three weeks. It's the (for me) anticipated The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.

This movie is a remake of a 1974 cult classic. There are apparently subtle nods to the older movie (clothes, names, and things like this) but they are lost on me. The plot remains that of a hijacked subway car with the passengers being held for ransom. John Travolta plays "Ryder" the hijacker while Denzel Washington plays Walter Garber, the impromptu hostage negotiator. John Turturro plays the real hostage negotiator Camonetti who helps Garber and James Gandolfini plays the unnamed Mayor of New York City.

The problems I had with this movie were mainly direction choice. The movie had a lot of potential with Travolta playing a bad guy - something he does very well - and Washington plays a good guy - something he can do well, though I'm not a huge fan of his. However, in this film, neither character really materializes as likable. Ryder isn't the likable robber such as Sonny Wortzik (Dog Day Afternoon) nor Dalton Russell (Inside Man). He swears too much to be likable and his plan is muddled and ill-explained. Further, Garber attempts to become a redeemed character but just ends up killing Ryder in the end. Is he redeemed? He's done well through this point, but the movie really hasn't made me care one way or the other. In the end, I realize he did the right thing for Ryder's sake, but it'll be something Garber will probably have problems with his whole life. But he was redeemed, so it's okay? I'm conflicted on this issue as to what the movie wanted. It's murky and detracts from the film.

All in all, the film is an action, edge of your seat thriller with the time ticking down as the deadlines approach. The cuts and the edgy music attempt to add to this atmosphere and for the most part it works well. I liked the opening montage of New York City. Though, as a personal choice, I would've placed the camera lower, getting the grittier New York City feel which a bird's eye view loses. Besides this, though, the action is pretty good. Somewhat forced at times, but really no more than the usual action movie. These scenes are enjoyable and compare to the average action scenes of Hollywood movies of the sort.

Overall, I gave this film a 5/10. The action is pretty good. The characters are somewhat lacking but the action is fine. It's not a film worth buying or anything like that, and I have to unfortunately naturally compare it to the likes of Dog Day Afternoon, Inside Man or the Ocean's series which are all much better.

[Note: Due to a voting update, I have changed the rating of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 to a 4/10.]

No comments:

Post a Comment