Saturday, August 8, 2009

08/08/09 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969, 110 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064115/

This movie is a rewatch of a movie I have already written about. The previous post is here:
04/11/09 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I pretty much liked the same things that I liked the first go around. The knife fight with no rules is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie. I'm pretty sure that no matter how many times I see this movie, this particular part will always make me smile. I also love the bicycle scene. I don't see how you couldn't smile at that, perfectly paired to "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." Along with this, the music throughout is just great. They're somewhat odd choices for music and not what I usually think of when I think of scores, but perhaps that's why I like it so much. It's quirky yet still works amazingly well.

I'd also like to mention one short cut in the movie. During the first robbery of the train as Sundance is making the train come to a stop there is a quick shot of Butch walking along the slowing down train. I don't exactly know what it is about this quick moment in the full 110 minutes of film but I really like it. I guess I feel like I am 100% watching Butch Cassidy there and not Paul Newman as Butch Cassidy.

This time through I also appreciated Butch's one-liners more. They didn't seem like gimmicky things thrown in to make the audience laugh. They genuinely seemed to be coming from the character. I guess this just goes along with the above. Paul Newman truly seemed to become Butch Cassidy to me for the entirety of the movie.

Overall, I gave this film a 9/10 again. I keep the same ranking. It's still a joy to watch. The amount of incredibly memorable scenes is astounding and make this a great rewatch over and over.

1 comment:

  1. I think this movie would have been so much better if Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head started playing when they ran out to their deaths.

    ReplyDelete