Sunday, August 30, 2009

08/30/09 - Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (2009, 90 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1350498/

This was on Syfy HD the other day and I'd heard how amazingly terrible it was. So I decided it was worth a watch hoping that it was "so bad it was funny".

For the sake of the actors I'm not going to mention their names here. The plot revolves around a trio of scientists as they work with the United States and Japanese governments in the task of taking out the two sea creatures in the title.

The acting is beyond terrible. Lines are delivered with no facial expressions and shouted frequently. Feelings are non-existent and the characters are flat. The attempt at a relationship is pathetic and plays out in the worst way imaginable.

The beginning is terribly done. After the initial scene which serves some purpose, the movie jumps around to a ton of different locations, attempting to piece together a story that I didn't care about. In between these scenes it shows the sunset or birds such as seagulls - every time. It's terribly boring. Further, to add drama to scenes, sometimes the camera will shake and everything will become black and white. This does nothing except make me hate the movie more. It's impossible to feel any emotional attachment to anything that develops on screen.

Overall, I gave this film a 1/10. Really it's a 0/10 but IMDb won't let me go that low so I have to go with the minimum score of 0/10. There's no redeeming quality in this movie. Likewise, these comments are just thrown together. I'm giving this the lowest possible score and I think that's enough to know. I was hoping for a "so bad it's funny" type movie but instead I was witness to a "so bad it's painful" movie. If you were even thinking about checking this out for the humor value, rethink that decision immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment