The Big Lebowski (1998, 117 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/
This movie is a rewatch of a movie I have already written about. The previous post is here:
09/29/09 - The Big Lebowski
Well, my previous opinion pretty much stands the test of time as I agree almost completely with it. I'll add some more thoughts but not much.
The Big Lebowski is pretty funny. There's quite a few times where the dialogue is really well done and, yes, even though it's absurd and quirky, that doesn't mean it can't be funny. Buscemi's Donny and Goodman's Sobchak are probably the best for me. Huddleston's Lebowski and Moore's Lebowski aren't that funny and I think they're the worst. Hoffman as Brandt gets overlooked in his role which I didn't point out last time. My comment that the music is amazing stands just as true on this viewing; it's a quality soundtrack.
I still think that The Big Lebowski is liked just because it's weird and bizarre and how everything just somehow comes together. It's similar to a Seinfeld episode I guess in how everything ties together at the end in some way. But for me, when I sat there and watched the credits roll, I didn't feel like I took anything away from the movie except a few really funny moments. Did I care about The Dude and his rug or that Bunny didn't lose or toe? Not really. The only thing that I don't like is that Donny dies but The Stranger points that out as well.
Finally, this film is apparently framed like an older noir. I've seen quite a few noirs since I watched The Big Lebowski back then in September and I can see the similarities but I don't think it adds anything to the movie. Does this make me care for The Dude more since he's in just about every scene? Again - not really. I guess it's a fun twist or whatever but, like most of the other aspects of The Big Lebowski, it just doesn't do it for me.
Overall, I gave this film a 6/10 again. The redeeming quality here is the film does truly have quite a few really hilarious spots. But on the whole the thing just doesn't work - at least for me. But I guess we could say that, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment