Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Summary

Here's everything I saw this year:

08/10 - Up in the Air
09/10 - Chinatown
06/10 - The Hangover
06/10 - Crazy Heart
09/10 - Moon
05/10 - A Serious Man
07/10 - American Beauty
06/10 - Blue Velvet
08/10 - American History X
10/10 - Inglourious Basterds
08/10 - Mulholland Dr.
06/10 - Blow
05/10 - Brick
04/10 - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
05/10 - Ghost Busters
04/10 - Lost in Translation
09/10 - Casino
10/10 - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
09/10 - Alien
08/10 - Aliens
07/10 - The Terminator
09/10 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
05/10 - Quel maledetto treno blindato (The Inglorious Bastards)
10/10 - Groundhog Day
05/10 - Black Caesar
06/10 - The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
06/10 - Coraline
07/10 - Oldboy (Old Boy)
06/10 - An Education
10/10 - The Deer Hunter
02/10 - Quelli che contano (Cry of a Prostitute)
03/10 - Trick 'r Treat
10/10 - Dog Day Afternoon
08/10 - Kung fu (Kung Fu Hustle)
07/10 - Black Dynamite
07/10 - Sabrina
10/10 - Almost Famous
03/10 - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
02/10 - Terminal Island
07/10 - The Blind Side
05/10 - The Fifth Element
04/10 - Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
05/10 - The House of the Devil
07/10 - Solyaris (Solaris)
05/10 - The Hills Have Eyes
08/10 - In the Loop
05/10 - District 9
05/10 - Love in the Afternoon
05/10 - The Crazies
05/10 - Fantastic Mr. Fox
03/10 - Mad Dog Morgan
02/10 - Clerks.
07/10 - The Exorcist
05/10 - Friday the 13th
04/10 - Friday the 13th Part 2
01/10 - The Mansion of Madness (Edgar Allan Poe: Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon)
05/10 - A Nightmare on Elm Street
03/10 - Green Zone
06/10 - Shutter Island
08/10 - Adventureland
07/10 - Halloween
05/10 - Darker Than Amber
08/10 - Good Will Hunting
07/10 - The Breakfast Club
08/10 - Field of Dreams
07/10 - Suspiria
04/10 - Poliziotto superpiù (Super Fuzz)
05/10 - Lord of War
09/10 - An American Werewolf in London
07/10 - The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
07/10 - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
04/10 - Group Marriage
03/10 - Friday the 13th Part III
01/10 - Cruel Intentions
05/10 - Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
06/10 - Point Break
09/10 - Scarface
02/10 - A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
02/10 - Los Angeles Streetfighter
07/10 - El laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)
09/10 - Night of the Living Dead
09/10 - Scream
08/10 - Frankenstein
06/10 - Bride of Frankenstein
06/10 - Young Frankenstein
08/10 - Cool Hand Luke
06/10 - True Lies
03/10 - The Cheerleaders
05/10 - Gangs of New York
06/10 - Mission: Impossible
08/10 - All the President's Men
08/10 - The Maltese Falcon
07/10 - (500) Days of Summer
05/10 - The Prestige
04/10 - Stingray
07/10 - Iron Man
07/10 - Iron Man 2
03/10 - Moonlighting Wives
09/10 - M
02/10 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
04/10 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
04/10 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
09/10 - Star Wars
09/10 - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
09/10 - Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
08/10 - The Long Goodbye
09/10 - The Shawshank Redemption
07/10 - Kick-Ass
09/10 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
02/10 - Brazil
06/10 - Cloverfield
09/10 - Double Indemnity
10/10 - The Third Man
04/10 - Clerks II
01/10 - Boardinghouse
08/10 - 8½
07/10 - Last Action Hero
05/10 - Edge of Darkness
03/10 - From Paris with Love
03/10 - The Hitchhikers
03/10 - Transformers
01/10 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
04/10 - The Men Who Stare at Goats
07/10 - Click
07/10 - The Searchers
08/10 - Shane
05/10 - Hot Tub Time Machine
04/10 - Preacherman
07/10 - Independence Day
05/10 - Air Force One
06/10 - Kingdom of Heaven
02/10 - Gone with the Pope
09/10 - Forrest Gump
08/10 - Memento
06/10 - Inception
07/10 - Unforgiven
06/10 - The French Connection
01/10 - Hollywood High
07/10 - Cidade de Deus (City of God)
08/10 - Jaws
09/10 - Rear Window
08/10 - Forgetting Sarah Marshall
02/10 - Inferno
10/10 - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
04/10 - Clash of the Titans
06/10 - The Big Lebowski
02/10 - Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
05/10 - Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI
07/10 - Repulsion
06/10 - Serpico
02/10 - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
09/10 - Moon
09/10 - The Natural
06/10 - Les diaboliques (Diabolique)
03/10 - Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
01/10 - Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
03/10 - Jason X
04/10 - Boss Nigger
05/10 - Friday the 13th
09/10 - Tombstone
09/10 - An American Werewolf in London
07/10 - Pink Floyd The Wall
07/10 - The Green Mile
05/10 - Observe and Report
09/10 - Taxi Driver
07/10 - The Town
06/10 - Wall Street
09/10 - Psycho
07/10 - Vertigo
07/10 - The Descent
04/10 - Trainspotting
06/10 - Carrie
04/10 - Jacob's Ladder
05/10 - The Haunting
07/10 - The Rocky Horror Picture Show
08/10 - Deliverance
05/10 - Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
09/10 - North by Northwest
09/10 - Rosemary's Baby
07/10 - The Last House on the Left
03/10 - Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
06/10 - Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In)
04/10 - Halloween II
05/10 - Hereafter
08/10 - Lawrence of Arabia
05/10 - Vivre sa vie: Fil en douze tableaux (Vivre Sa Vie)
09/10 - Yôjinbô (Yojimbo)
10/10 - Tsubaki Sanjûrô (Sanjuro)
07/10 - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
07/10 - Lat sau san taam (Hard Boiled)
08/10 - Bonnie and Clyde
07/10 - Starship Troopers
02/10 - King Kung Fu
06/10 - Tuff Turf
06/10 - The Next Three Days
08/10 - In the Loop
09/10 - Sunset Blvd.
10/10 - Citizen Kane
08/10 - I Love You, Man
09/10 - It's a Wonderful Life
04/10 - The Tourist
05/10 - Manhattan
02/10 - Valhalla Rising
03/10 - Circle of Iron
05/10 - The Warriors
08/10 - Black Swan
05/10 - High Fidelity
07/10 - The Night of the Hunter
08/10 - The Social Network
10/10 - The Third Man
06/10 - True Grit
08/10 - The King's Speech

Quick Facts:
Movies seen in 2010: 212
Unique movies seen in 2010: 207
Time spent watching movies in 2010: 24,037 minutes (400 hours, 37 minutes [16 days, 16 hours, 37 minutes])
New movies seen in 2010: 170 (includes extended cuts of previously seen movies)
Old movies seen in 2010: 42
Shortest movie seen in 2010: Frankenstein (70 minutes)
Longest movie seen in 2010: Lawrence of Arabia (227 minutes)

Movie Breakdown by Decade:
1930s: 4
1940s: 6
1950s: 10
1960s: 13
1970s: 41
1980s: 33
1990s: 30
2000s: 55
2010s: 20

Movie Breakdown of 2010:
Movies seen from 2010: 20

1. The Social Network
2. The King's Speech
3. Black Swan
4. The Town
5. Kick-Ass
6. Iron Man 2
7. Inception
8. The Next Three Days
9. True Grit
10. Shutter Island
11. The Crazies
12. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
13. Hot Tub Time Machine
14. Hereafter
15. Edge of Darkness
16. The Tourist
17. Clash of the Titans
18. Green Zone
19. From Paris with Love
20. Gone with the Pope

Best Movies Seen (Overall):
The top twenty movies I saw this year:

1. The Third Man
2. Citizen Kane
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4. Almost Famous
5. Dog Day Afternoon
6. The Deer Hunter
7. Inglourious Basterds
8. Tsubaki Sanjûrô (Sanjuro)
9. Groundhog Day
10. An American Werewolf in London
11. Taxi Driver
12. Psycho
13. The Natural
14. Chinatown
15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
16. Tombstone
17. Rosemary's Baby
18. Sunset Blvd.
19. Double Indemnity
20. Scream

The following were first time viewings (9/20):
The Third Man, Citizen Kane, The Deer Hunter, Tsubaki Sanjûrô (Sanjuro), An American Werewolf in London, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, Double Indemnity, Scream
The following were repeated viewings (12/20):
Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Almost Famous, Dog Day Afternoon, Inglourious Basterds, Groundhog Day, An American Werwolf in London, Taxi Driver, The Natural, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Tombstone, Sunset Blvd.
[Note: An American Werewolf in London was seen twice, once as a first time viewing and once again as a repeated viewing.]

Worst Movies Seen:
The bottom ten movies I saw this year.

1. Boardinghouse
2. The Mansion of Madness (Edgar Allan Poe: Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon)
3. Hollywood High
4. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
5. Cruel Intentions
6. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
7. King Kung Fu
8. Clerks.
9. Terminal Island
10. Los Angeles Streetfighter

Last year I did all the normal categories I would do for the monthly summaries only at a best five instead of a best two. Having seen 212 movies this year though, that leaves quite a bit of stuff to go through. All of these picks come as one of the top picks for some month so I feel that those summaries are a fine collection of my picks for surprising or disappointing films or for quality characters and scenes. Here are the links to all of them:
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

2010 Summary:
I watched the most amount of movies I've ever watched in a year with 212 watches. My goal was 200 and I'm glad I reached it. I tried to hit some genres that I'm not all that familiar with. In March and October I tried to watch some classic horror and slasher movies and I was able to complete all of the Friday the 13th movies and now have a silly love for them (well, except some of the really awful ones). Also, looking back to my 2010 Outlook post I wanted to see more James Stewart and more Audrey Hepburn. I finally got to see Stewart with stuff like Rear Window, Vertigo, and It's a Wonderful Life to name some. I also got to see more Hepburn with Sabrina and Love in the Afternoon. I would have liked to see Charade but that just never worked out.
I was also really happy to discover that The Third Man is one of the best films ever made and also see that Citizen Kane lived up to all the hype. New 10/10 movies were also discovered in The Deer Hunter and in the foreign Sanjuro. The foreign movies I watched this year were hit or miss. Some like Sanjuro and its "prequel" Yojimbo were amazing while others like Diabolique or Vivre Sa Vie fell short of my expectations. I think for this year I will instead try and spread out my foreign cinema watches as in November it did get tiring having to read subtitles for so many movies.
All in all, I think 2010 was a fantastic year for my movie watching. As for actual 2010 movies I'm not quite sure, but maybe in 2011 I will discover some classics of 2010 that I just didn't have time for this year. Anyway, I'm glad with most all of my watches this year. Even utter garbage like Boardinghouse is fun to watch with a group of friends and to put in perspective how amazing even something like Hot Tub Time Machine is in comparison.

This will be my last post in this blog. I enjoyed doing this for some sixteen months or so but I feel it becomes too much work when you want to write a lot on movies and you watch a lot of movies. Maybe one day I'll come back to it, but for now I'll let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment