In the Loop (2009, 106 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226774/
This movie is a rewatch of a movie I have already written about. The previous post is here:
02/25/10 - In the Loop
My last line in the previous post of In the Loop was "I honestly think I could watch it tomorrow and it still be hilarious" rings true again. I wanted to watch a comedy and In the Loop was something that struck my eye while also meeting the foreign theme. So I was glad to give it another watch.
Everything I said the first time rings true again this time. With a better understanding of where everything was going I was able to focus more on smaller interactions and that. Without a doubt Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker was again the highlight. The character is such a discombobulated mixture of traits that it's hard not to like him in my opinion. There's the incredibly sharp wit, the relentless following of his job, the reckless abandon he sometimes causes and the constant awareness of what he wants to do next all combined to create this oddball of a character. The dialogue is probably where he shines the most though even on a repeated viewing.
There's really not much new I took away from this viewing of In the Loop. The movie is a comedy and it entertained me in a similar way to the first time. I laughed just as hard even when I knew what was coming and sometimes even more. I hope that In the Loop will be heralded as one of the cult comedies going forward. I mean, honestly I'd like it to be more mainstream since it's extremely high quality but I think simply by being a foreign movie it won't. It did get an Oscar nomination but still little recognition which is a shame.
Overall, I gave this film an 8/10 again. In the Loop didn't fail in the rewatchability test and I never really doubted that it would. It's a great satire and one of the funniest movies in recent years.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment