Shane (1953, 118 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046303/
Shane is the second part of the western double feature. I was told that Shane was a drastically different movie than The Searchers so I didn't really know what to expect. The only thing I knew was the ending since it's become so iconic.
The film follows Shane (Alan Ladd) as he arrives in a new town. There he meets up with the Starrett family: Joe Starrett (Van Heflin), Marian Starrett (Jean Arthur), and son Joey Starrett (Brandon De Wilde). The family and their fellow homesteaders are being harassed by Rufus Ryker (Emile Meyer). Eventually things turn violent when Ryker brings in a gunslinger known as Jack Wilson (Jack Palance). Shane settles the disputes in a climactic shootout before riding off into the sunset.
Shane is a very different movie from The Searchers, that is for sure. First, Shane is very contained. The scenes either take place at the Starrett's place or in town. I think I like this more. It traps the story here in a way that moves it along better and so the film doesn't have the pacing issues that I thought hurt The Searchers. But what I most like about the film is just how simple the plot becomes. Shane is simply a tale of good versus evil. This is one of the fundamental reasons the western genre is so loved: it puts everything into basics. Shane, the Starretts and their friends are good while Ryker and his gang are bad. You don't really need to know much else. The development of the characters gives a little personality to each and there's the subplot of the tension between Marian and Shane but I don't feel it plays a gigantic role in the whole film.
Next, I think the acting is good all around. Ladd is incredibly charismatic in his turn as Shane and I don't see how you cannot root for him. Surprising me is how well little De Wilde does as Joey. He plays the admiring youngster to perfection with his overly enthused lines never turning fake but rather always seeming authentic. Finally, Arthur is beautiful again. I had remarked on her looks from watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the same good blend of acting and beauty holds here as well.
The finale of Shane is probably what most people remember. The film does a great job at building tension as Shane goes to town by alternating cuts between Shane riding on his horse and Joey running after him. Wilson has also been hyped just enough (by shooting Torrey and also from what Shane has said about him) to where he becomes a formidable villain. Similar to other westerns, this rise in tension is more important than the final shootout. It lasts under a minute as Shane quickly blows everyone away (with some help from Joey). Then Shane gives his talk to Joey about killing people. Though it's a little cheesy, I feel like Shane has been developed in such a way that these words mean so much coming from him. Really, it adds to his development by painting him as this flawed individual that must carry this burden with him forever. And last but not least, Shane rides off into the sunset even though Joey begs him not to: Shane! Come back! Even though I knew it was coming, it was still amazingly well done.
Overall, I gave this film an 8/10. I really liked Shane more than The Searchers but they're tough to compare since they are completely different films. The only thing they really have in common is the great vastness of the wild west and how well this is shown on the screen.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment