Los Angeles Streetfighter (1985, 85 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091433/
Wednesday means it's time to watch another corny and lame movie. This time we get a movie billed by its alternate title of Ninja Turf but we get a preemptive warning that there are actually zero ninjas in the film. I proceeded cautiously.
The film stars some high school kids who end up getting into street fights all the time. There's also this plot revolving a guy falling for this one girl and one guy having to deal with his mom who always comes home drunk. Anyway, the acting is so atrocious that I'm not going to mention names.
Really when I say the acting is atrocious that's almost a complement. It's so bad that it's pathetic. The poor dubbing job done by whoever doesn't help at all. Also contributing to this poor showing is the fact that a bunch of almost 30 year olds are supposed to be high school kids. And the mom I mentioned above is about the same age. All in all, the casting and everything revolving around the acting is beyond bad.
As for the actual plot, I find it hard to come up with what it was. About halfway through I asked myself "What is the plot of this movie?" and it took me a while to come up with the answer. Really it revolved around one guy wanting to do something with someone while some other people tried to stop him. Or something. It was all pretty poorly thrown out there and never really came together. Ever. I mean, I think the whole point of this movie was to have some cheesy fighting scenes. On the whole, I didn't even think these were that well done. A few times I was intrigued by the kung fu but mostly it wasn't that great.
Finally, I'm going to talk about the ending. The first 75 minutes or so of this film are lame yet fun and it never really tries to be serious. But then in the final 10 minutes it takes a Taxi Driver spin as it goes really dark really fast. There's deaths abound and families realize the error of their ways in their dying gasps. And then it all abruptly ends. I didn't really know what to make of the ending. Clearly here the writers or whoever showed an ability to create some emotion and some tension and all those elements that are supposed to be in a film that were noticeably absent until this point. I actually liked this ending. It contrasted so hard with the previous bits of the film but somehow it ended up working.
Overall, I gave this film a 2/10. Really the only redeemable here is this ending which I hazard to guess is actually hit or miss. I don't think anyone that I saw the film with saw the ending in the same way as me. When a friend that didn't see it asked me sum the whole film up I described it as 1/10 quality wise but 8/10 humor wise. Sadly all the humor comes from laughing at it's repeated failures.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment