Tuesday, January 19, 2010

01/19/10 - Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds (2009, 153 min)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

This movie is a rewatch of a movie I have already written about. The previous post is here:
08/21/09 - Inglourious Basterds

Reading over the review I agree with my chapter-by-chapter breakdown. I would like to add though that the Morricone-esque music that I commented on previously was actually probably done by Morricone. So I was right on that account. Overall, I think I enjoyed the music a little bit more on this second watch. The main song that showcases Dreyfus as she prepares is a great fit. This is "the song" of the movie in my opinion (I feel each Tarantino movie has to have one of these moments) and really pumped me up for the remaining part of the film.

As for new stuff that I noticed I don't think it was much. I remained as impressed on a second viewing as the first with the acting chops of Christoph Waltz as COL. Hans Landa. Personally, I think Landa should be classified as the "main actor" of the film for award purposes as he really did have more lines and was probably on screen more than anyone. However, I guess as the film was more an "ensemble" film it prohibits any one actor to be considered a lead. He's pretty much a lock to win Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars though, and I agree as I find this performance to easily be one of (if not) the best of the year.

On a second viewing, the humor wasn't as high as it was the first time around. Stuff like COL. Landa pulling out his pipe or the Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz montage were more expected. Then again, on a second view I wasn't watching in a crowded theater filled with laughter so that hurt it some. On a similar note, the over-the-top feeling of the movie wasn't as great this second time through the movie. It seemed to fall flat a few times that I didn't notice on my first viewing. Again this was probably because I just wasn't as excited to see the film this time as I was for that midnight showing.

Overall, I gave this film a 9/10 again. It really is apparent that Tarantino just makes films for pure enjoyment's sake. There are tons of times that you can just tell Tarantino is paying homage to his favorite scenes of cinema past. These moments I don't think I noticed as much last time, maybe because I was paying more attention to the characters and plot or what not, but I did seem to catch these moments on this view. Inglourious Basterds remains - easily - my favorite new film from 2009. It really is an amazing spectacle.

[Note: Due to a voting update, I have changed the rating of Inglourious Basterds to a 10/10.]

No comments:

Post a Comment